The mission of this annual event is to inspire downtown Bethesda employees to incorporate walking into their daily routine when considering alternative commute modes other than driving alone and sitting in traffic. The Challenge encourages everyone to get out of their car, take transit and get walking. Get fit just by going to work!
Who: All downtown Bethesda-based companies and their employees
When: September 11- October 1, 2016.
What You Do: With a pedometer, which we will provide for you and your teammates, you'll track the number of steps you take each day and enter them into our online log. This Challenge tracks walking ONLY. Biking for recreation, roller blading, and other forms of exercise are not tracked by pedometer and those activities will not count toward your total step count.
Where: Everywhere! Walk to and from the Metro station, to and from the bus stop, to and from work - and everywhere in between! Walk to a new restaurant for lunch, or if you brought food from home, go out for a long walk instead of working at your desk while you eat. Walking and transit is an ideal combination. You might not live close enough to your job to walk to work. So, ride Metrorail and walk from the Metro station or your bus stop to your workplace.
What You Could Get: Each week, participants walking more than 50,000 steps will be entered into a drawing to win great prizes. Those walking 25,000-49,000 steps will be entered into a drawing for other great prizes. In addition, there will be occasional scavenger hunts and other ways to win prizes.
The Grand Prize: Each member of the team with the highest average number of logged steps will receive a grand prize.
2016 Walk and Ride Winners
First Place: The "A" Team from Coakley Williams (pictured at right)!
- The "A" Team walked an average of 253,090 steps over the 3-week period.
- Each team member received a prize package that includes a $125 gift card to Amazon.
Second Place: Bethesda Happy Feet from Linowes and Blocher (pictured at left)!
- The members of Bethesda Happy Feet walked an average of 241,852 steps over the 3-week period.
- Each team member received a prize package that includes a $75 gift card to Amazon.
Third Place: PESquad from Coakley Williams!
- The members of PESquad walked an average of 215,841 steps over the 3-week period.
- Each team member received a prize package that includes a $50 gift card to Amazon.
Contact Jennifer Zucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-656-0868 x 118.